Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hands on preview and pictures of the Nokia N8!!!


Hi gals and guys, it’s been a while since my last post, sorry about that. So, I’ve prepared something special this time – exclusive hands on preview and pictures of the Nokia N8!!! I must thank Stephanie (@sturbi) from Austria for this great opportunity to play with the new Nokia’s flagship. Thank you SO MUCH :)
Just to remind you, it’s main specs are:
  • 12MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics and Xenon flash (finally, something that can replace my N82)
  • 3,5″ capacitive touchscreen, 360 x 640 pixels
  • WiFi, GPS with free drive/walk navigation with OVI Maps
  • Aluminium casing
  • 16GB of mass memory…
The design
So, when you look the device from the front side, all you can see is the big screen, and a menu button (secondary camera also). No call/hang up buttons, and I don’t miss them, to be honest. I’m not really fond of this lime colour, I like the silver one better.
From the left hand side, you’ll see a micro USB port, and microSD and SIM card slots (they’re covered).
The N8′s top packs some interesting stuff, like mini HDMI port, and some expected stuff, like 3,5mm audio jack, and a power button.
You’ll find the volume buttons, slide lock/unlock button and a camera key on the right hand side.
Charged pinhole is located on the bottom, along with the lanyard hole.
Camera is, naturally, located on the back side.
The software
Important note: I played with the device that had very early version of firmware, so there are some glitches, but overall, the performance was very good.
As you probably know, I’m a HUGE Symbian fan, and naturally, I love this version even more. It looks similar to S60v5, but then again, it’s different enough. It was very responsive, and I really like the 3 customizable home screens. And yes, that 2:15 in the morning :)
There’s support for Office and PDF files out of the box, and many more interesting apps. Typing is fine, but I do prefer physical buttons when texting, but that’s just me…
The camera
I have to apologize, but I didn’t have the opportunity transfer some of the N8 footage on my N82. I guess you’ll have to trust me on this one but the pics are absolutely stunning!!! The Xenon flash works perfectly in dark, as expected. :) I’ll try to get some pics ASAP…
Conclusion
So, should you buy this device? It basically comes down to this: If you’re not addicted to physical qwerty keyboards, then, definitely, absolutely, positively YES! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment